In this month’s Signarama newsletter, we briefly outlined some of the most important aspects of effective signage. As the graphic below clearly points out, considerations that range from the size of the sign and letters to its colour palette directly impact how well any sign ‘sells’ your business:
However, these five elements are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to designing effective signage. Let’s take a look at some other important features that every good sign must consider.
1. The Tagline
A business’ tagline highlights what it does in a specific, targeted way. In addition to promoting your brand and its products/services, your tagline says who you are. Its addition onto every type of sign from the main doorway to the smallest roadside flag is a continual reminder to customers of what you offer that goes way beyond a name and logo.
2. Diversifying Signage Types
Creating effective signage means going beyond the basic and using a diverse catalogue of signage types to promote your business, its sales and promotions, and your brand in general. An effective signage programme might include many of the following:
Each of these signage types takes the basic features outlined in the graphic and portrays them in a new way, in a new location. Mobile signs such as a-frames are perfect for reaching out to foot traffic whereas flags make excellent additions to sponsored events such as community picnics and 5K races.
3. Professional Logos and Design
Though we point this out in the image, the importance of professional design is so massive that it bears repeating. Hiring a professional designer, either through a Signarama storeÂ or independently, offers many significant benefits:
- Saves Time â€“ professional designers have the skills, the programs, and the knowledge to complete your project quickly
- Saves Money â€“ professional designers can prepare an art file in the exact manner needed for printing and signage display, reducing the cost of retooling images for different purposes
- Better Quality â€“ professional designs elevate your image because they look polished and, well, professional
- Images that Sell â€“ each designer has a unique style and design philosophy that, properly utilised, will stand out from the ‘noise’ of all those other logos out there
Learning how to design effective signage is critical for any business who wants to stand out from the crowd, increase their return on investment for signage, and promote their brand in general. Your local Signarama storeÂ and its professional designers, installers, and consultants has everything you need to make ‘signs that sell’ for every occasion.